Assistant Civil Designer
Bloomington, MN 55122 US
- This position offers challenging work on a significant variety of projects, including airfield pavements and geometric layout and facilities and infrastructure at airports and federal sites, and requires a broad understanding of all civil engineering design and construction principles.
- New Technicians and Designers will work with Engineers to produce drawings for clients and marketing purposes.
- Project design tasks will include site layout and development, airfield layout and development, master planning, utility corridors, and drainage elements.
- This position is responsible for providing a full range of drawing production work including problem analysis, design layout, detailing, drafting, and calculations on projects of substantial variety and complexity, and producing complete plans from verbal or written descriptions from responsible registered professional.
- Develop master plans for state-of-the-art facilities for commercial aviation and federal government clients. These facilities include aircraft maintenance hangars, engine maintenance facilities, munitions storage, and munitions assembly, personnel training facilities, flight simulator facilities, classrooms, and administration buildings.
- Design site infrastructure for these facilities, including road geometry, parking lot layout, utility layout, grading, and drainage design, and stormwater management facilities.
- Design airfield infrastructure for regional and international airport clients, including runways, taxiways, parking aprons, alert shelters, engine runup areas, which would include detailed pavement design, geometric layout, grading, drainage, and stormwater management.
- Design fuel storage and piping facilities at airports and military facilities.
- Design ramp support facilities at airports including aircraft parking, maneuvering, jet bridge analysis, and ground support equipment servicing/parking.
- The Civil Designer will work on an integrated design team within our Aviation & Federal Global Practice to perform the following duties:
- Use 3D software to model surfaces and pipe networks, manipulate corridors, manage styles and template development.
- Demonstrate moderate to high level of knowledge of CAD standards and best practices.
- Learn and successfully apply company, client, and project drafting standards and procedures.
- Demonstrate ability to exercise independent design decisions and apply formulas, principles, and practices to complete required drawings.
- Demonstrate moderate to high level of knowledge of assigned and related disciplines.
- Coordinate drafting activities with other designers, drafters, and design disciplines.
- Successfully communicate and correspond with internal design resources and external clients and personnel.
- Preparation of detailed drawings for civil engineering portions of projects, including site master planning, site geometry and layout, grading and earthwork, utility routing and profiles, stormwater management, and stormwater conveyance routing and profiles.
- Bachelor's degree in drafting technology or related field and two years related experience or associate's degree and three years related experience or four years progressive detailing and design experience. (Bachelor's degree in any Engineering field is NOT allowed for this role except for Engineering Technology).
- Experience in essential computer programs including Microsoft Office suite, Adobe Acrobat, and Bluebeam, is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency in at least one 3D design software package. Civil 3D experience is preferred. Microstation experience is beneficial.
- Course work and/or experience in civil and infrastructure system design and data analytics preferred.
- Ability to work independently, effectively prioritize work, manage multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and adjust work priorities as needed to meet department/organizational objectives.
- Ability to develop, read, and interpret drawings, schematics, specifications, and technical manuals.
- Ability to distinguish colors.
- Previous internship or related consulting experience is preferred.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Team player concerned with the success and well-being of those around them.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.