464 North Milwaukee Chicago, IL 60654 US
Our client is looking for a staff civil engineer to work as a part of their Chicago office team. This Staff Civil Engineer will provide project level support of detailed design and activities related to the preparation of plans, specifications, reports, and other documents for engineering projects within prescribed time frame and funding parameters by performing the below duties. Typical advancement is based on the quality of performance of essential duties and responsibilities. Discretionary advancement is based on employee’s actions and accomplishments. This position will report to the Division Manager.
- Determines major project design decisions in conjunction with the Project Manager such as utility layout & routing, stormwater management, grading and soil erosion control design, etc., confirming conformance to standards, pavement design, construction observation and other items
- Assists Project Manager in preparation of proposals and estimates
- Participates in presenting the proposal to the prospective client or clients, and governmental agencies
- Has direct client contact only after coordination with Project Manager
- Assigns and assists in the duties of the project team, answers their questions, and monitors their progress while coordinating project direction with the project manager
- Checks accuracy of completed work
- Assists Project manager in preparing contracts and specifications
- Attends meetings with client and governmental agencies and their representative(s), representing our clients and the organization
- Assists client in selecting contractors
- Monitors construction
- Assists the Project Manager in preparing change orders and payment requests.
- Other duties as assigned
- Provide engineering and technical support to Project Managers and other engineering staff in the preparation of studies, reports, plans, specifications, and construction drawings.
- Possess the ability to interpret plans, sketches, and specifications.
- Ability to respond to common technical inquiries, questions from the client, or members of the project team and to resolve complex technical issues.
- Provide support to Project Managers and senior project staff to ascertain coordination, completeness, and accuracy of critical technical requirements.
- Perform specific work assignments in accordance with established and modified progress schedules and within prescribed budgets
- Capable of being assigned any sized, more complicated projects and performing all design tasks with very limited supervision.
- Willingness and ability to travel out of town for site visits and construction observation that may include overnight stays.
- This role requires strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency using AutoCAD-Civil3D and exposure to engineering modeling software such as HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, preferred
- Experience in utilizing Microsoft Office Tools (SharePoint, OneDrive, Outlook, etc.) and Document Control Management Software.
- Exhibit flexibility to work on multiple projects and react to changing client expectations.
- Be able to take direction and function independently.
- Ability to write technical reports, memos, or other correspondences that conform to prescribed style and format of the client and of the firm.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with variables based on client preferences and in areas where documentation is lacking, or only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to communicate and provide a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Possess great organizational skills and time management abilities.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of algebra and geometry, as well as calculus and statistical analysis.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors’ Degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent education from a four-year college in the field of Engineering and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in design
- This job requires Engineering Intern (EI) Certification with intentions of pursing and obtaining a Professional Engineering (PE) License as well.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.