Construction Inspector/ Field Technician
6135 West 400 North Greenfield, IN 46140 US
Our client is seeking a motivated, well-rounded Technician for their Midwest market. They are a full-service geotechnical engineering, construction materials testing, environmental consulting, and compliance management firm. They provide quality, cost-effective solutions while also focusing on client commitment and satisfaction. Their staff of professionals provide depth to their ability to conduct environmental and geotechnical engineering projects for their clients. The successful candidate will work on challenging and diverse tasks for projects related to construction, DOT, bridge, airport, and private development for a variety of small local clients as well as Fortune 100/500 companies.
This is a position that will help develop your career and gain experience and knowledge in many areas of the engineering and construction industry. The candidate will learn to work independently and with teams to apply critical thinking applications to solve technical issues on a variety of engineering and environmental projects. The successful candidate will work in conjunction with staff and project management level professionals.
- Conducting field inspections
- Classifying of soil samples
- Preparing boring logs or field notes for senior staff members
- Assisting with sampling and testing of air, soils and groundwater
- The successful candidate will perform a variety of tests and inspections on construction materials including soils, deep foundations, concrete, asphalt, and masonry.
- Follow safe work practices per company guidelines
- Travel to, and work performed at, various job site locations throughout the Midwest region
- Participation in field investigation and testing programs, performing site characterizations and evaluating geotechnical hazards under the supervision of senior engineers/geologists
- Testing construction materials (soils, concrete, masonry, reinforcing steel, and asphalt)
- Oversight of construction activities including earthwork, dewatering, pile installation, excavation support installation, and load tests
- Sample collection and field analysis (building materials, air, soil, groundwater, and water);
- Surveying (differential level & triangulation)
- Calibrating and maintaining testing equipment and tools
- Oversight of subsurface investigations (e.g. drilling test borings and well installations);
- Oversight of subcontractors performing services at site locations
- Letter and report preparation for submittal to regulatory agencies with supervision by senior staff
- Some lifting of heavy objects (e.g., sample coolers) and equipment will be required, up to 50lbs
- Review and interpretation of maps, boring logs, field/laboratory test data, and other documentation
- Promoting geotechnical and other services to new and existing clients
- Ability to pass written exams and tests for INDOT Certification necessary
- 2-year Engineering Technology Associates Degree
- 4-year Geology
- Civil Engineering or Civil Engineering Technology Degree preferred
- Knowledge of commonly used computer software (Word, Excel, and Outlook) expected
- Candidate must have good writing and communication skills, and can work in a team environment or on their own. At APEC, we enjoy our work while being professional, so a positive attitude and commitment is a must!
Minimum Physical Requirements:
- Common field tasks involve standing, walking, using a personal computer or iPad, and communicating verbally.
- Most work for this position is conducted outdoors with project site visits and will require ability to stand throughout the course of an 8 to 12 hour work day in varying weather conditions and terrain.
- Must have good driving record to be able to drive vehicle to project sites and meetings with clients. Travel for field work is a major part of this position.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.