Electrical Engineer II
300 Erie Blvd W Syracuse, NY 13202 US
Responsible for the design of Electrical power system design experience / knowledge is required.
- The main purpose of this position is to provide electrical engineering services on substation, and associated auxiliary systems for AIS and GIS substations.
- Conduit / duct bank routing and design.
- Conduit / trench / cable tray layout, including fill calculations in accordance with NEC.
- Substation ground grid design
- Low voltage power distribution system design, including AC / DC panel schedules, load balancing, cable ampacity verification and equipment specification.
- Outdoor flood-light (illumination) design per NESC.
- Work with the project lead engineer to develop the Design Criteria and the Document Deliverables list for the project.
- Work with the project lead engineer to develop single line diagrams, layout & section drawings and BOMs for the substation design packages.
- Rigid bus analysis, grounding analysis, corona calculations, illumination studies, lightning protection studies and auxiliary power system studies.
- Generate equipment specifications, monitor vendor technical compliance and witness factory acceptance testing as applicable.
- Utilize knowledge of the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC) to ensure that designs comply with the required safety clearances.
- Adhere to ABB Power Systems
- Substations quality processes and document control procedures to ensure design documents are complete and accurate.
- Provide construction, installation & commissioning support Other desired competencies, which add value to the ABB Substation organization:
- Knowledge of three-phase and single-phase encapsulated GIS substations including Gas Insulated Bus (GIB) and associated SF6 type terminations (i.e. SF6 to SF6, SF6 to air and SF6 to oil).
- Experience in HV power cable system design, including ampacity calculations, cable pulling design, cable vault layouts, cable restraint design, and GIS sealing end/air termination applications.
- Utilities, Cooperatives, Municipalities, Industries, and Developers
- Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering required;
- Professional Engineering certification preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of power systems / substations experience.
- Basic knowledge of applicable ANSI standards is required.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, Lotus Notes, AutoCAD & MicroStation is a plus.
- This position requires the ability to clearly communicate with ABB and Customer personnel in order to successfully collaborate, coordinate, and resolve project related activities and issues.
- Problems involve recognizing situations and applying appropriate concepts to solve problems that are usually short-term in nature.
- Basic conversation skills and normal tact and courtesy are required.
- Travel is required; up to 15% both domestic and international.
- ABB Power System Substations engineers and provides a wide variety of projects from 69 kV distribution substations up to 800 kV transmission systems, conventional AC air insulated substations as well as GIS, HVDC (Conventional, CCC, and Light concepts), and reactive power compensation (SVC and Series Capacitors).
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.