Engineering Analyst I
Grand Rapids Customer Service Center, 4000 Clay Avenue, SW Grand, MI 49548 US
- Training will be on the job and associated with Gas Storage Engineering department.
- This position is within the Statewide Circuit Planning group for Low Voltage Distribution (LVD).
- This group is responsible for the planning responsibilities for the electric distribution facilities.
- This position includes remote responsibilities for the evaluation of Category 1 and 2 DER (Distributed Energy Resource) applications.
- This encompasses electric planning skills, project management, and customer inquiries.
- The type of work performed would be of a complex level of tasks of a technical/scientific nature, without direct supervision, as well as responding to customer inquiries (via email or via phone).
- The DER reviewers responsibilities are comprised of two main areas of 1) DER Application Review performance solutions and 2). Customer Advocacy.
- Tasks include evaluating residential and small commercial based distributed energy resource customer applications, reviewing inverter datasheets to confirm proper certifications, verifying customer one-line and site plan drawings are satisfactory, following a checklist to ensure customers submit all required pictures and materials, updating customers on the status of reviews/responding to various other customer review inquiries, and re-sending documents for customer signature via email.
- The selected candidate will distill multiple sources of technical and policy information and make decisions on the merits of a DER application.
- The selected candidate generally follows standardized practices and procedures without guidance from higher-level employees. However, this position is expected to adapt and resolve issues utilizing creative thinking, investigation, and ingenuity beyond the normal practices and procedures.
- The selected candidate will interact with internal and external clients. Candidate needs to be able to convey engineering review instructions to small-scale DER customers/installers to resolve application issues, exhibit timeliness, and to be willing to learn and adapt to dynamic Michigan Public Service Commission DER review rules.
- This position will be largely focused on the evaluation and approval of applications to interconnect distributed energy resources (DER) to the low-voltage distribution system across the entire service territory, requiring understanding and application of the Michigan Electric Utility Generator Interconnection Requirements.
- The ability to read and comprehend electrical circuit diagrams
- Strong analytical skills, good oral and written communication skills and customer relations skills
- Ability to work well with others both inside and outside their own work group
- Must be willing and able to follow instructions, assist in the training of co-workers
- Ability and initiative to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Previous knowledge of DER’s and Interconnections preferred
- Previous engineering technology experience preferred
- Must have a webcam to be able to participate in virtual meetings
- Previous customer experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree in a scientific/technical field with less than 1 year of experience. (OR) Associate's degree in a scientific/technical field with 2 years of experience in the specific field. (OR) Extensive Company or industry experience in positions that demonstrate required abilities and performance
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.