1500 Technology Dr. Jackson, MI 49202 US
Design weld fixtures for complex welded assemblies comprised of metal stampings, tubing, and machined parts.
These positions require safe work practices that are clearly defined within company and department specific safety procedures.
Working safely is an essential function of the position. Working overtime is an essential function of this position.
Flexibility in work schedule is an essential function of this position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design prototype weld fixtures in SolidWorks for large, complex prototype assemblies.
- Ensure weld fixturing is designed to meet the customer blueprint.
- Ensure that the tolerancing of sub-component parts and fixturing allow for proper manufacturability to meet requirements of finished assemblies.
- Design tooling fixtures for tubing and stamping assemblies in 3D models SolidWorks
- Robot reach studies in 3D to confirm no tooling/robot interference.
- Prepare 2D manufacturing drawings in SolidWorks.
- Hands-on product validation, including fit-check of components, tubing copes and assemblies.
- Other CAD related tasks as determined by the CAD manager.
- Assist/guide manufacturing during production.
- Troubleshooting design challenges.
- Support in development of fixtures methods and processes.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with varying degrees of priority within a very fluid environment.
- Approvals for deviations, waivers, change notices, revisions, etc.
- Understands lean manufacturing concepts and inputs required by operations to successfully meet our customer’s needs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to manufacturing processes that include and are not limited to; fumes or airborne particles, hazardous chemicals, moving mechanical parts, industrial equipment and vibration. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee will have prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer. The position is largely a sedentary role and does require filing and the employee is occasionally required to work with technicians on the manufacturing floor and may require the employee to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED HOURS OF WORK
This is a full-time non-exempt position with a minimum of 40hrs / week with overtime as needed. Note: days and hours required may vary. Flexibility is required in all positions.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 3-5 years of 3D CAD experience in a manufacturing environment is required (SolidWorks).
- Minimum of 2 years designing weld fixtures is required.
- Able to generate a bill of materials (BOM).
- Able to interact with suppliers, customers, and other team members.
- Provide technical feedback of potential design risks and product performance issues.
- Self-managing and able to work towards completion dates and goals as assigned.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Excellent working knowledge of GD&T is required.
- Ability to read and understand CMM reports.
- Knowledge of standard shop equipment and manufacturing processes (especially welding).
- Ability to multitask and work in high-pressure situation under deadlines.
- Review Engineering Change Notice Requests from our customers to determine impact and internal routing.
- Maintain various project timelines and resources through project completion.
- Working knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office.
- Skilled with MIG steel welding.
- Ability to use measuring tools such as tape measures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering preferred, but not necessary.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.