GSP Safety Specialist
12505 Lucky Hill Road Remington, VA 22734 US
Safety Specialist for Power Station. Project consists of Silencer Demolition and Replacement for units 2 and 3 during upcoming fall outage.
This role works as a liaison to Project Management in a team environment to help the project reach its safety goals. This role represents the owner at the project site(s) during project execution(s).
- Sets the standard so that the project team sees safety as an imperative which cannot be sacrificed.
- Ensure contractors comply with all OSHA regulation, all other state/federal regulations, and Safety Terms and Conditions.
- Provide expert knowledge in applicable Federal, State and Local regulations and codes and advise management regarding the impact to the project.
- Ensure new contractor hires are orientated to safety compliance expectations, and periodically audit the required documentation. Provide training on safety orientations as needed to on-site personnel.
- Ensure that the following material is available and on site: Contractor Yellow Book, the applicable legislation and regulations, site safety inspection forms, observation forms, safety plans, etc.
- Develop and maintain emergency action plan incident response matrix for including internal project stakeholders to be contacted following an incident.
- Respond to safety concerns that are communicated through and follow up with reporting individuals, such as emphasis on LOTO, Power Generation 5, and Mission Zero.
- Perform safety audits and inspect facilities, machinery, and safety equipment to identify and correct potential hazards, and to ensure safety regulation compliance.
- For Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health items -stop the activity immediately and call the contractors safety team to take care of the issue in the manner prescribed contractually.
- For other compliance issues, prioritize - get the contractors safety team and have them correct the issue. If the issue cannot be rectified immediately have the contractors safety team set a date to have the non-compliance item rectified and who is responsible for abating the issue. If that issue isn't corrected in the prescribed time elevate the issue to the Project Manager.
- Make notification to project staff of any contractor incidents in a timely manner.
- Participate in the investigation of incidents to determine root cause, and issue and follow up on corrective actions as needed.
- Manage and issue to management any safety injuries/illnesses/vehicle incidents/property damage reports, as well as any known revisions to safety standards.
- Take part in project safety calls to discuss project parameters and review any incidents that have occurred as needed.
- Inspect safety paperwork in the field such as vehicle inspections, confined space permits, excavation permits, crane lift plans, and operator certifications as needed.
- Attend contractors Pre-Job Briefs to audit for quality as needed.
- Provide support to the project by maintaining a visible presence to the field performing site visits to the entire project.
- Spend time in the field interacting with field personnel and coaching on safety concerns or call contractor safety personnel depending upon the issue.
- Perform site walks (preferably multiple) with and/or other contractor safety professionals to build relationships and identify hazards.
- Ensure contractors follow zero tolerance safety expectations.
- Prepare for and participate in corporate safety audits as needed.
- Notify Project Manager and Manager of Generation Projects if an OSHA compliance officer arrives onsite.
- Participate in OSHA regulatory visits in pre-meetings, site walk arounds, and closeout meetings. Document any photos or issues that the compliance officer brings up during their visit. Send any responses to OSHA complaints or citations that the contractors receive to the Manager of Generation Projects or designee for review and suggestions before their submittal.
- The Safety Specialist is expected to maintain a physical presence in the field for at least 80% of the duration of the workday and address issues as they arise with the contractor and project management team.
- Identify best practices and continuous improvement initiatives and make these recommendations to the contractor and Project Manager to reduce work process risks, raise safety awareness, and improve safe work practices.
Mandatory Qualifications (Applicants must meet a minimum of one of the following):
- A Bachelors in Safety or a closely related field with a minimum of 5 years of large project experience in a construction safety environment.
- A current OSHA 500 training course designation and five years of experience as the lead safety professional.
- A CHST designation & four years construction safety experience as the lead professional.
- Power Station experience is a must.
- Have 1-3 years of experience serving in the role of an owners safety representative.
- Have 1-3 years of experience in a utility/industrial environment.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.