Health & Safety Specialist III - Nuclear
13225 Hagers Ferry Road Huntersville, NC 28078 US
- This position serves as an Owner representative, who is responsible for basic technical work in a wide range of health and safety disciplines to achieve compliance with the organizations H&S standards and with federal, state and local regulatory requirements.
- Works under general supervision and often self-directed.
- Monitors and observes work activity and provides technical and intervention direction to enable the prevention and control of H&S incidents and hazards.
- Recommends improvements in basic processes, design, procedures, and operating equipment, to minimize the hazard potential.
- Maintains current knowledge of specific requirements imposed by governmental agencies and internal programs, procedures and processes.
- May provide technical guidance to less experienced personnel working on environmental, health or safety programs.
- Tenaciously assist work teams and vendors in resolving concerns and compliance deficiencies.
- Know the respective H&S contractual requirements to ensure full understanding of expectations.
- Ensure a safe work environment is maintained through the identification and correction of H&S-related hazards and risks.
- Perform daily / routine field observations to identify unsafe conditions and at-risk behaviors, and environmental issues.
- If applicable, interface with site Health & Safety professionals to integrate and discuss H&S issues and resolve related questions.
- Interface with contractor safety representatives, site H&S professionals and project/contract manager(s) to correct deficiencies and resolve issues.
- Attend and participate in project/outage meetings, Pre-Job Briefings and any other meetings required by the Outage/ Project manager to communicate concerns and trends, as directed. Perform incident trend analysis and develop safety/health improvement initiatives.
- Administer and facilitate enforcement of safety initiatives.
- Ensure communication delivery to project/ outage work teams by following up with the outage/ project manager and appropriate personnel.
- Site safety inspections shall also include observations for environmental issues such as container labeling/control, potential refueling spills, hazardous materials, etc. Note: if unsure of an environmental issue, contact the site environmental coordinator who will investigate the environmental issue(s).
- Provide routine updates of H&S issues to the site H&S contacts.
- Participate in incident investigations as necessary.
- Assist with or provide training to contractors as needed for various health and safety topics including site orientation.
- Assist with improving outage/ project safety/ health, and help provide a safe work environment for all employees,
- Primarily monitor safety/ health in all phases of project.
- Communicate with all project/ outage employees regarding job safety/ health and where applicable, environmental compliance.
- Notify appropriate project lead personnel to facilitate correction of any deficiencies in a timely manner.
- Report all findings to the respective contracting firm management, site H&S/ EHS contacts, and copy the Outage/ Project manager.
- Have a working knowledge of basic environmental requirements to identify non-compliance issues.
- Report H&S contractor incidents to Outage/ Project Manager, and site H&S/ EHS contacts. Immediately notify the Outage/ Project Manager, and site H&S/ EHS contacts of incidents of potential asbestos, or lead-containing materials encountered by employees
- Generate Nuclear Condition Report for any identified H&S/ EHS issues and resolutions.
- Document observed unsafe behavior or conditions (and safe behavior).
- 10+ years discipline experience.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.