I&C Design Engineer (North Anna)
1022 HALEY DRIVE Mineral, VA 23117 US
The candidate will fill a position as an I&C Project Engineer for the Digital I&C Program. The Digital I&C project is a 10+ year effort as part of Subsequent License Renewal (SLR) to upgrade safety and non-safety-related analog systems to digital and transform the main control room to flat panel displays and controls. This role works with a cross-functional team of station stakeholders, project leads, and project managers to evaluate modifications to the plant design. Responsibilities include:
- Reviewing and/or preparing engineering products (e.g., Design / Engineering Change packages, Specifications, Calculations, Technical Evaluations.)
- Overseeing contracted engineering work and ensuring consistency and compliance and industry standards.
- Providing technical support, input, and oversight for Factory and Site Acceptance Testing and Simulations (e.g., reviewing and approving procedures and observing activities).
- Interfacing with the primary equipment supplier and project stakeholders to support technical reviews and input.
- Analyzing engineering risk and failure modes and incorporating mitigating strategies in the designs.
- Reporting and presenting status to engineering team lead, project managers, and management team on a periodic basis.
- Supporting construction / implementation phase (e.g., design updates, field change evaluations, resolution of technical issues).
Top 3 Required Skills
- Experience with nuclear power plant design, systems, and components
- Strong background in Electrical, Computer, or I&C Engineering fields
- Specification, technical, engineering writing ability
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written
- Ability to lead, collaborate, or work effectively in a variety of teams, including multi-disciplinary teams
Strongly Preferred Skills and Qualifications (with training documentation and record provided):
- Nuclear Operations experience (SRO/STA)
- 50.59 (or equivalent)
- Standard Design Process qualification for Nuclear Engineering Changes
- Engineering specification qualification
- Candidates will be expected to have or gain familiarity with North Anna’s nuclear power plant design, including the Electrical Distribution System and or the Instrumentation and Control Systems at the station.
- Experience with Industrial Control Systems such as Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and/or Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) systems and associated control system devices, computers, communications, and networks
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with power generation Industrial Control Systems and skills in the use of advanced control techniques;
- In-depth knowledge of industry advances in control system monitoring, testing and analysis of control equipment; and controls theory;
- Knowledge and experience of power plant controls, steam turbine control systems, combustion turbine control systems, balance of plant control systems;
- Knowledge and experience of electrical and electronics theory;
Preferred Years of Experience:
- 6+ years of directly-related electrical power design engineering experience in a power generating station, nuclear background strongly preferred
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Possess a 4-year Electrical Engineering Degree or equivalent extensive electrical engineering field experience.
- Holds or has previously held a valid U.S. Professional Engineer license can be used in lieu of a 4-year degree
Are there any specific companies/industries you’d like to see in the candidate’s experience?
- Nuclear utility experience a plus
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.