Lead Engineer (Renewables)
3300 Exchange Place Lake Mary, FL 32746 US
Lead Engineer - Battery Energy Storage Development
The Lead Engineer is at the specialist level of the Engineering classification hierarchy. Employees at this level solve complex problems, manage work, and provide leadership to others in engineering areas of specialization, with minimal supervision and increased latitude for un-reviewed work. The Lead Engineer serves in lead roles providing guidance to others. They are also expected to have advanced skills and have the ability to work independently.
This position will provide engineering and technical support to Commercial Renewables Business Development teams in pursuit of renewable energy investment opportunities, including acquisitions and greenfield development projects, with a focus on battery energy storage. Applicants are expected to have prior experience with battery energy storage systems as well as prior experience with utility interconnection. Experience with solar and wind renewables projects is preferred.
This position will:
- Provide engineering support to technical matters throughout the development process with a focus on battery energy storage system technology, modeling. construction, and interconnection for projects nation-wide.
- Responsible for capital cost estimating, operational cost estimating, contract structuring, permitting, use-case analysis and financial optimization of battery energy storage systems.
- Utilize knowledge of renewable energy facilities, utility interconnection requirements, control schemes, and energy contracting to evaluate, identify, and mitigate commercial risks associated with proposed project designs.
- This position must work collaboratively with key internal business unit stakeholders, including Project Management and Construction (PMC), Supply Chain, IT, and Health & Safety, among others. The position will also require working with third-party consultants.
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Support greenfield development through site screening and selection, system feasibility studies, preliminary design, cost estimates, and overall technical due-diligence.
- Create and submit interconnection requests for energy storage energy projects and analyze study results.
- Work with Supply Chain on issuing RFPs for EPC and key equipment components.
- Support efforts to optimize solar, wind, and energy storage generation systems design and output.
- Develop techno-economic models to support improvement of project return on investment.
- Prepare thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations, and design plans related to projects and analysis of increasing scope and complexity.
- Develop optimization tools specific to solar, battery energy storage, and wind projects.
- Stay informed of technology advancements, market trends, and relevant guidelines and standards related to energy storage technology.
- Maintain equipment supplier relationships and advise Supply Chain and PMC on battery energy storage technology trends.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering obtained from an ABET accredited program, OR a Master’ s degree in Engineering in lieu of a Bachelor of Science in Engineering
- Minimum of eight (8) plus years of engineering experience
- Recent experience in pre-construction engineering and project development specific to utility scale renewable energy projects with a focus on solar and battery storage projects
- Strong working knowledge of the technical and commercial elements of battery storage technology including performance specifications, use case analysis, performance modeling, procurement, and warranty agreements.
- Familiarity with battery storage modeling tools such as Fractal or Ascend and how these relate with PV modeling tools such as PVsyst
- Experience in the electric utility industry and a demonstrated understanding of HV transmission and utility interconnection.
- Demonstrated advancing application of engineering theories and principles
- Master’ s Degree in Engineering or Business Administration
- Increasingly proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, preparing and presenting recommendations
- Ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills
- Proficient in principles of project management
- Professional Engineering License
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule and overtime as required
- Must be able and willing to travel to various locations around the US as required
- Pay Range: $101, 200 - $139, 150
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.