Materials Technician II
Pulteney St Corning, NY 14830 US
- focused in the sample preparation and standardized testing areas of the lab.
- This role will be deeply involved with various engineering departments material testing plans.
- The successful applicant will combine hands-on experience with scientific principles to provide technical support to engineers involved in testing, research and development for such materials as glass, refractory, ceramics, metals, and polymers.
- This position will focus on sample machining /preparation and high temperature material testing support in a laboratory environment.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Work with engineering staff to complete refractory, glass and ceramic sample preparation using various machine tools and powered equipment
- Conduct high temperature testing on various samples
- Support lab safety programs to provide a safe working environment
- Provide off-hours & weekend support as needed
- Minimal-only to local sites
Hours of work/work schedule:
- Day shift, somewhat flexible start time
- Generally 40+ hrs. per week Mon-Fri, but must be flexible
- Overtime, on-call, and weekend work may be required at times to support test schedules
Required Education & Experience:
- Two-year technical degree, or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience in a technician role within a laboratory or manufacturing environment
- Sound knowledge of machining equipment including, but not limited to, saws, surface grinders and core drills.
- Experience interpreting CAD drawings, knowledge of GD&T, and use of precision measurement tools.
- Mechanical aptitude; ability to maintain equipment, monitor coolant levels, change consumable cutting tools, and troubleshoot common equipment issues
- Knowledge of various materials and their properties as they relate to feeds, speeds and overall machinability
- Knowledge of safety systems and how they relate to machine work, furnace work and material handling.
- Good written & oral communications skills
Desired Skills / Qualifications:
- Experience with drawings using SolidWorks CAD software
- Being comfortable with high temperature operations and glass melt testing
- Experience with preventative maintenance scheduling
- Experience with welding, and other fabrication methods
- Continuous process improvement experience
- Creative & innovative approach to problem solving
- Positive demeanor and collaborative approach
- Ability to learn, be flexible, and adapt quickly
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Self-starter with a strong work ethic
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.