Mechanical Assistant Construction Manager
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54911 US
The Assistant Construction Manager will assist the Construction Project Manager, Project Manager, Site Manager, and/or the Engineer Procure Construct (EPC) Project Manager or Program Manager with day to day management of project safety, quality, schedule, cost control, contracts, subcontractors, suppliers, procurement, proposals, estimates, documentation, turnover, client interface, field-based activities, and other duties required to execute Engineer Procure Construct (EPC) projects, construction management, and program management ventures. This position will work on a diverse array of projects across multiple industries including aviation, commercial building, electrical transmission & distribution, facility, manufacturing, oil & gas, power generation, process, and water.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Adhere to company's safety programs, training, and policies as well as collaborate with the project team to manage the Safety & Health performance of project team members, contractors, and others as required.
- Collaborate with the Project Management team to build client relationships while interfacing with the client for proposal and project related items.
- Assist in the development of internal and external project risk reviews with the Project Management team and consult with the Legal Department as required.
- Coordinate and assist in the development and implementation of the Project Execution Plan, Quality Assurance Plan, Safety & Health Plan, Subcontracting Plan, Project Staffing Plan, Organization Chart, and Procurement Plan.
- Contribute to the negotiation, approval and execution of multiple types of prime contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders, and change orders.
- Develop the project plan for site mobilization and demobilization and support the Construction Manager or Site Manager with implementation.
- Secure applicable project permits required for the project.
- Support development of and coordinate the potential bidders' registration and pre-qualification efforts on behalf of the Project team.
- Prepare Request for Proposal (RFP), support detailed scope of work development, bid and selection process, creation of contract documents for the purpose of subcontractor and client contractor selection and award.
- Support the implementation of multiple project specifications, drawing releases, and design changes.
- Execute downstream contract administration, including Request for Information (RFI's), submittals, meeting minutes, change management, and claims mitigation.
- Support project cost reporting, scheduling, work breakdown structures, project set-up and closeout, and field progress tracking processes.
- Prepare information for and report project status, risks, schedule, costs, and cash flows at project and corporate level meetings to internal and external stakeholders. Develop and distribute meeting minutes as needed.
- Support the Prime Contract, subcontract, client contractor, and supplier invoicing process.
- Establish, review and implement the project documentation and filing systems and processes.
- Verify the project, client contractor, and/or subcontractor's insurance, licensures, taxes/duties, and securities are in effect according to the project requirements.
- Support and conduct project safety, quality, progress and financial audits and assessments as required.
- Facilitate the materials receiving and management process including inventory control, receiving of goods, storage, and transportation.
- Collaborate with Superintendents and Site Managers to verify compliance of subcontractor's client contractors contract documents, safety & health requirements, quality, and schedule.
- Facilitate the project turnover documentation, recordkeeping/retention, warranty and project close out processes.
- Assist with maintaining compliance on all project related activities by consistently applying company policies and procedures.
- Assist with the development of project labor agreements with building trades as required.
- Assist with onboarding of craft/field supervision as required.
- Analyze composite crew rates to determine labor and equipment costs.
- Work with field operations/craft HR team to appropriately staff projects.
- Analyze and monitor labor burdens including craft classifications, benefits and labor laws.
- Maintain accurate craft classifications and craft progression records.
- Assist with upholding standards of craft competency and training.
- Estimate, forecast and manage craft install unit rates, production rates to ensure earned value, schedule, change management and ensure cost metrics are met.
- Assist with applicable craft training.
- Manage construction equipment to ensure adequate inventory to complete projects.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction, Construction Management, Engineering, or a related field.
- Applicable experience may be substituted for the degree requirement.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant construction experience required.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access).
- Experience with document control, scheduling, cost control and project management software is preferred.
- Significant travel up to 100% travel is required as necessary to support the execution of projects, training and other corporate requirements.
- Travel may extend over weekends and holidays.
- High probability of extended periods of travel may be required to support project execution for duration of project/program in the form of field assignments or relocation.
- Frequency of travel will vary based on the different project needs.
- Travel on short notice may be required.
- The base work schedule will be a five (5) day work week (Monday through Friday) with some exceptions based on the office or project location.
- Periodic weekend work and extended work days may be required.
- Business travel after regular work hours will be required.
- Night shift work may be required to support project execution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to handle large volumes of work and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Multiple years of experience on construction project sites or executing program management in the industries of aviation, commercial, energy, government, manufacturing, oil & gas, process, transmission & distribution, transportation, or water is preferred.
- A basic understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Must be able to meet company's driving requirements.
- Work locations could include office-based or construction jobsites ranging from commercial to heavy industrial environments that include working in adverse climates, and extensive walking, requiring stairs, passenger use of personal hoists, negotiating work areas under construction, climbing permanent and temporary ladders, occasional lifting or moving objects up to 50 pounds.
- Must be able to sit, talk, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and bend.
- Specific vision abilities required for this job includes: close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to hear and perceive the nature of sounds by ear. Must be able to safely operate motor vehicles.
- May at times need to access confined spaces or work locations at elevation requiring utilization of respirators, self-contained breathing apparatus, and/or fall protection.
- Projects require occasional long hours and infrequent days off, occasional night shifts or moderate to long periods of working consecutive nights.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.