750 Clark Ave Bristol, CT 06010 US
As a mechanical engineer you will generate finished machine designs from a general concept. You will be expected to use good judgment and investigation to make robust, effective equipment and do so with minimal instruction. Machine types include most aspects of anything we sell, up to and including feeder machines, form-fill-seal loaders, more complex stations, cam design etc. These designs must address:
Performance: Optimize ability of the machine to perform the specified function, appropriate longevity, maintainability, etc.
Cost: Minimize cost in all phases, design time, purchased parts, materials, fabrication, assembly and debug.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Conformance to the customer machine specifications
- Develop appropriate solutions to design problems
- Collaboration with the design team members and other subject matter expert coworkers during the design phase
- Perform all necessary engineering calculations and document the calculations in a reviewable format
- Produce 3D CAD assemblies and part models
- Select application appropriate and cost-effective servos, gear boxes, pneumatic devices, and other commonly purchased machine components
- Discuss the machine sequence, control requirements, and electrical components with the appropriate mechanical and controls design team members
- Select application appropriate materials of construction and coatings
- Create detailed drawings of designs while adhering to accepted AGR and ASME standards
- Create Bills of Materials to AGR requirements
- Demonstrate application of acquired knowledge from AGR administered Lean training
- Follow ISO9001 procedures for engineering, including reviews and information capture
- Support the fabrication and assembly teams on technical issues during equipment fabrication, assembly, and debug.
- Support the Technical Writing team with Machine Manual content pertaining to station designs
- Travel to customer sites in support of AGR business (rarely)
- Clock job times accurately
- Ability to proficiently use SolidWorks or a comparable 3D software package
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and typical work hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Overtime is on an as needed basis and at the direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
Travel with reasonable notice, for installation, training and service work.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in an applicable field, (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, (Automated) Manufacturing Engineering, Physics, etc.)
- 5 or more years of engineering experience preferably focused on machine design or in a related field
- Proficient in MS office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and MS Project)
- 3D CAD Skills, SolidWorks
Preferred Education and Experience
Bachelor of Science in an applicable field, (i.e. Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Physics).
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.