Process Engineer - Pulp and Paper
1800 Data Dr Birmingham, AL 35244 US
Description: As the Lead Process Engineer, you will be the subject matter expert on a project working the client to develop process engineering solutions. Your responsibilities include delivery of the process engineering deliverables on time, within budget and meeting quality expectations. May require providing the supervision and technical direction of a team of process engineers on larger projects.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Paper Science from an accredited university.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the pulp and paper industry.
- Extensive knowledge of pulping process and chemical recovery equipment, processes, and operations.
- Experience in PFD and P&ID development, heat and material balances, and equipment specifications.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Professional Engineering registration is a plus.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
Primary responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Promoting the culture of working safely and applying safety related concepts into process design.
- Plan, organize, and oversee the process engineering activities with responsibility for quality and accuracy as well as performance budget and schedule.
- Understand the project scope and deliverables. Initiate timely project change notices when deviations are made from project scope that affect the cost of the work, deliverable and/or schedule.
- Establish the process design criteria for the project.
- Oversee PFD and P&ID development, heat and material balances, hydraulic calculations and other process engineering tasks.
- Prepare equipment specifications and assist in the development of bid packages for procurement of equipment.
- Review and check vendor information and reconcile verses the process design documents.
- Coordinate with design leaders from other disciplines to ensure inter-disciplinary alignment of the design effort.
- Review discipline design information and design drawings for process engineering input and participate in inter-discipline design reviews.
- Develop preliminary designs suitable for the level of estimate being prepared as part of a capital project development study.
- Maintain familiarity with and utilize industry standards, procedures, and guidelines.
- Check calculations, reports, and studies made by other engineers to ensure accuracy, as well as conformance to codes, specifications, design criteria and good engineering practices.
- Travel as required for project related activities
The above description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not, however, be construed as a complete listing of all miscellaneous, incidental, or similar duties which may be required from day-to-day. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. EOE/Vets/Disabilities/M/F
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.