Project Engineer - Structural
41780 6 Mile Rd Northville, MI 48168 US
Project Engineer – Structural
Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural Engineering, Civil Engineering (emphasis on Structural), Construction Engineering, or related degree, from a 4-year accredited college or university. Master’s degree is preferred.
Professional registration or ability to get within 1-year
· 5-10 years of demonstrated experience in Civil, Structural, Architectural and/or Construction Engineering
· 2-5 years of demonstrated experience in evaluating, designing, preparing repair bid documents, and performing field observations of repairs and rehabilitation of existing buildings and structures
· Experience with facility asset management and related software is desired
· Experience in several of the following areas:
- forensic studies associated with building envelope and structural issues
- assessing the feasibility and soundness of proposed restoration / maintenance programs
- evaluation and condition assessment of construction and materials
- preparing construction bidding documents
- development of project scope
- budgetary estimates of probable construction costs
- understanding of building systems
- construction administration (reviewing submittals, RFIs, etc.)
· Consulting firm experience preferred
· Knowledge of Building Codes and Standards including ACI, ASCE, AISC, MBC/IBC, etc.
• Experience with industrial and / or manufacturing facilities is preferred
KEY JOB ELEMENTS
In this role you will:
• Develop and prepare proposals for architectural / engineering services related to asset management and the building’s envelope including:
o Defining the scope of services for field investigations.
o Defining the scope for services for assessment, design, and analysis for infrastructure or building envelope repairs and / or component replacement.
o Preparing proposal fee estimates and project schedules.
o Preparing, delivering, and discussing proposal documents with clients.
• Prepare and review reports, contract documents, designs, and specifications for repairs.
• Plan, organize, and write assessment reports describing the evaluation, significant observations, conclusions, and repair recommendations, together with construction cost estimates.
• Plan, organize, supervise, and conduct field evaluations and field-testing programs.
• Assess feasibility and soundness of proposed restoration / maintenance programs.
• Develop designs for rehabilitation and / or replacement while considering the client’s budget and schedule expectations, constructability, product and material availability, and facility operations and / or logistics.
• Coordinate construction quality control services, conduct periodic site visits, and review daily field reports prepared by others.
• Perform administrative tasks including reviewing contractor submittals and / or substitutions, responding to requests for information (RFIs), preparing addendums / bulletins for scope change / clarification, etc.
• Conduct pre-proposal, pre-construction, and construction progress meetings, and prepare minutes of those meetings.
• Develop and present project-specific or technical seminars / webinars to technical organizations, clients, and in-house staff.
• Must have strong written and oral communication skills, be able to work in a team environment as well as independently, demonstrated team-oriented approach to problem-solving, and have strong interpersonal skills for contact with clients and fellow engineers/technicians.
• Accuracy, dependability, and strong organizational skills.
• Exceptional time management skills, ability to manage multiple assignments, and ability to work in a team environment.
• Must hold a valid driver’s license and vehicle insurance and be willing to travel to and conduct field services at project sites as well as offices in Michigan.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
• May be required to perform job duties in the field and office, during non-standard work hours, as necessary.
• Must be able to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Be willing and able to work on construction sites, including elevated platforms, manlifts, scaffolds and swing stages, and along freeway right-of-way while performing review activities.
· May be required to enter and work within confined spaces, once appropriately trained.
LEADERSHIP AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE
· At least 3 years of demonstrated leadership experience in mentoring and leading junior staff
· Ability to organize technical material into comprehensive reports as well as perform QA/QC reviews on work product
· Project planning, budgeting, task delegation and management to ensure project is completed according to work plans
· Project Administration, including invoicing and collections
· PMP certification a plus
· Demonstrated ability to seek and establish new clients and build good business relationships with both new and current clients
· Develop and maintain professional business relationships with targeted new clients.
· Conduct periodic site / client visits, project, and business development meetings
· Assist in developing business strategies and action plans for creating growth opportunities
· Work with Business Development staff to bring new clients / business opportunities to the firm
Authorized to work full-time in the U.S.A. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired are required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.