Project Manager - Electric Utilities
250 Av. Juan Ponce de LeÃ³n San Juan, Puerto Rico 00907 US
We are a pioneer in ground-breaking scientific and engineering developments since the 1960s, is an engineering consulting firm that provides integrated services to the energy, environmental and infrastructure markets. We serve a broad range of clients in government and industry, implementing complex projects from initial concept to delivery and operation.
This position is accountable and responsible for the overall project planning, organizing, management, supervision, coordination, and administration of all capital projects associated with Transmission Lines, Distribution Lines, Substations, Telecom facilities and associated work in order to achieve project completion on budget, on time, as per agreed scope and with proper risk and quality management.
The Project Managers are expected to multitask and diligently handle multiple Projects competing for Resources with competing timelines and objectives to be achieved together under a common Capital Program. This position is expected to have the ability, skills and experience to handle multiple large scale and large value complex projects at the same time.
This position provides support through the planning and delivery of project work through all phases of new capital projects. This includes interaction and collaboration with the Construction Managers, Commissioning Manager, Project Control manager, HSE lead, Commissioning Lead, and Construction Lead along with all applicable support services including contract admin, finance, indigenous relations, and project management. This position is responsible for all planning, monitoring, tracking of schedules, costs, risks and quality, supervising and reporting on project deliverables including external contractors.
This position will kickoff Project, manage interface with Contractors during Construction and ensure that all Project deliverables including construction is completed in accordance with Design and Contract packages.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS
• Managing $100M-$200M portfolio of projects
• Manage up to 15 contractors and coordinate with over 50 resources indirectly
• Safety Oriented ensuring safe work and safety of everyone.
• Ensure contract policies & practices are followed to; ensure the Company achieves the accepted intent of agreements, have methods to manage change/exceptions and properly protects the Company from failure risks.
• Apply Project Learning's, as well as monitor and collect external information on construction management, best practices and technologies creating a library of knowledge to be applied in opportunities that arise.
• Ensure the Project Execution Model is applied and supported (preliminary assessment, feasibility, detailed development and execution phases) to fullest extent possible for any project.
• Lead the project team by running meetings and working collaboratively on access route / site planning, selection, identifying landowner and land acquisition issues, and providing regular updates.
• Lead and represent LUMA at various third-party information sessions. Effectively communicate with appropriate internal and external groups including Municipal, State and Federal agencies, Indigenous Groups, contractors, and internal staff including L & P, Construction, Survey, HSE, and Regional and District staff.
• Lead and monitor the construction of all projects for scope changes and report daily on changes that can impact the project cost or schedule, issue change orders within level of authority or escalate to quickly address. Monitor the construction of all projects for schedule changes and track progress daily identifying any issues that could delay the schedule, provide advice on course of action to maintain the schedule within authority levels or escalate to quickly address.
• Provide support to incident investigation as and when required.
• Good interpersonal skills with strong written and oral communication skills.
• A solid knowledge of Microsoft Office PC applications along with Project Management tools (MS projects, Primavera P6, TBD)
• Solid Understanding of Earned Value Analysis and Management for monitoring, tracking and reporting of project progress updates.
• Perform major storm restoration work and associated drills as assigned.
• Excellent in identifying and managing risk on projects.
• Change Management of Scope, Costs and Duration changes in a project.
• Abide by Company policies and procedures.
• Other duties and special projects as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Bachelor of Science, Engineering, Business, or technical institute combined with 7-12 years’ experience in electric utility environment with knowledge in design, construction, and commissioning of transmission, distribution systems, equipment, and components.
• Project management Professional (PMP or PgMP) training and experience would be considered an asset.
• Experience with electrical utility technologies such as Gas Insulated Switchgear, smart relays, IEC 67850 technology, high voltage transformers and breakers.
• Knowledge of FEMA project processes.
• Experienced with working on Regulated Utilities and managing project interfaces with Regulatory Commission and Independent System Operators, International Aid Agency Interfaces on Utility Scale Capital Programs.
• Expert knowledge in Project Controls- scheduling, tasks development, WBS, Costs, Estimating, Risks, and Reporting (to Regulatory and Federal Aid Agencies).
• Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization through various means such as email, phone, video conferencing, and in-person. Strong ability to develop and deliver effective presentations and facilitate meetings as related to strategy, training, and collaborating with various stakeholders.
• Knowledgeable about OH&S Safety Regulations
• Proficient in handheld GPS usage, GIS, Computers, MS Office and Outlook applications.
• Good knowledge of applicable Municipal, State and Federal Legislation.
• Good knowledge of Project Management and Construction Standards Manual.
• Excellent, organizational, communication, interpersonal and leadership skills.
• Proven skills in Project Execution and Contractor Management.
• Excellent problem solving and decision-making abilities.
• Work with limited supervision. Track / monitor / report on various deliverables. Prioritize and organize own work. Excellent time management, organizational and planning skills. Attention to accuracy and detail.
• Proficient in MS Office Suite - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, MS Projects, Primavera P6, Computer based Earned Value Management, Cost Control, Schedule Control, Resourcing management, Risk Management, Project Management Tools. We are an equal opportunity employer: disability/veteran. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.