Project Manager - Substation
9400 Ward Parkway Kansas City, MO 64114 US
Wishing you could have an ownership stake in the company you are working for? We are an award-winning full-service Engineering, Architectural, Construction, Environmental, Permitting, and Consulting services firm. We are a 100% employee-owned company with regional and project offices nationwide. We plan, designs, constructs, and manages projects all over the world with one mission in mind -- to make our clients successful.
Our Transmission & Distribution global practice is looking for Project Managers to join our growing business in our Akron, Columbus, and St. Louis offices. The Project Manager will manage, direct, and coordinate all aspects of work related to electrical substation engineering and construction projects. The Project Manager is expected to establish, maintain, and proactively grow client relationships into repeat business and expanded service offerings. The Project Manager will be responsible for the profit and loss of individual projects, the successful completion of projects within specified dates, and establishing and maintaining a professional and satisfactory relationships with the project Owners, subcontractors, regulatory agencies, and all other project stakeholders. Additionally, the Project Manager will assist in the pursuit of new clients which includes but is not limited to coordination with client Account Managers and our leadership with direct marketing responsibilities.
Major responsibilities for the Project Manager will include:
- Prepare proposals, assist in presentations, and participate in contract negotiations.
- Leverage existing client relationships, create new client relationships, and focus on repeat work within each client Account.
- Provide overall management of projects from concept to completion including but not limited to siting, environmental, permitting, planning, estimating, engineering, right-of-way acquisition, project controls, bid phase services, procurement, constructability reviews, material management, construction management, and closeout.
- Develop and monitor project schedules, manage scope, and control project costs.
- Own internal project financials (detailed, accurate project cost forecast and accruals), staffing/resource forecasts, legal coordination, risk management, change management, and human resource issues.
- Serve as the primary point of contact with clients regarding efforts such as client coordination, strategic planning, scope management, budget finances, subcontracting, project staffing, environmental compliance, facility support and schedule attainment.
- Manage all aspects of project communication.
- Develop and implement project policies and procedures, establish project controls systems, and implement the project execution plan.
- Direct and coordinate activities of several disciplines on a project of moderate scope or a combination of smaller project
- Work closely with the Project Team to ensure deliverables and services are being provided to client’s satisfaction and that projects are following internal QA/QC guidelines.
- Report regularly on progress, cost and schedule metrics, procurement issues, safety or environmental concerns, design questions, potential impacts, and any issues requiring office support.
- Travel to client and project locations will be expected.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field from an accredited curriculum.
- Minimum of 7 years of related experience, including 3 or more years of experience managing engineering projects in the Transmission & Distribution industry. Completion of master's degree in related field may be substituted for one year of experience.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. This position requires an individual capable of applying intensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to broad areas of assignments.
- Must have experience with the production of applicable engineering design and construction documents.
- Must be capable of devising new approaches to problems encountered.
- Demonstrated success in project management which includes proposal development, contract negotiations, project planning, design team coordination & communication, budgeting, schedule management, and client coordination.
- Must have ability to deal effectively with a wide variety of industry, government, and public contracts on project-related matters.
- Proven ability to develop business and establish relationships with clients.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills. Must have the ability to clearly and effectively present complex information to all levels of employees, management, and clients.
- Previous consulting experience preferred.
- Professional Registration and/or Professional Certification preferred.
- Expert knowledge of project management methodologies and tools including the use of Microsoft Project or equivalent
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.