Protection & Controls Engineer SME (Relay Engineer)
8564 W Venable St Crystal River, FL 34429 US
- Engineer is responsible for applying critical thought and providing technical solutions for all design issues of a Protection and Control nature related to the Transmission, Distribution and Generation system.
- This position provides technical direction in determining the feasibility, cost, and design of major capital and maintenance projects.
- The Senior engineer is expected to work collaboratively with the appropriate groups/individuals across the enterprise to develop and implement technical solutions that support the objectives of the Transmission Department.
- The position will often be called upon to support field relay technicians in troubleshooting emergent issues and should be able to respond calmly and professionally in high stress situations.
- Since this position has a critical role in applying the technical direction and philosophy of the Department, the senior engineer should demonstrate a high level of technical competence in applications including voltages from 13kV to 500kV and will include all manner of protection and control schemes.
- The position will be involved with and responsible for engineering designs, relay protection schemes, adherence to standards, standards development, project scopes, project estimates, designs and quality reviews.
- The successful candidate should be capable of providing a high level of technical competence in the following areas: protection and control design, research and development to support new standards development, and troubleshooting.
- Competence in the following professional skills is also paramount for the successful candidate: peer leadership, oral communication skills, written communication skills, collaboration across functions and forge consensus among a diverse group, and the capacity to represent the organization in various forums.
- Specific Responsibilities for Relay Design Engineer:
- Protective relay project design and coordination
- Preparation of relay and control functional one-lines, AC & DC elementary drawings and wiring diagrams
- Preparation and review of relay panel arrangements and control enclosure layouts
- Preparation of written relay philosophy and functional description documents of protection and control schemes.
- Research and prepare technical specifications for electrical protection and control equipment. Interpretation of vendor documents and drawings.
- Review and approve vendor drawings and technical specifications for new equipment.
- Provide guidance to the project design team during scope development and design process.
- Provide construction coordination and support with field personnel
- Incorporation of new relays in the application of protective schemes
- Support Engineering team to accomplish unit goals and objectives
- Occasionally support department in emergency restoration efforts as needed.
- Expected to be capable of handling multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting expected deadlines.
- Communicate with vendors for evaluation of new products and support of existing equipment.
- Graduation from a four-year college or university with a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited program and state registration as a Professional Engineer.
- A Master's degree in engineering will be considered in lieu of the B.S. engineering degree.
- 15 years engineering experience required.
- Skilled in principles of project management.
- Experience in the electric utility industry.
- Experience in the production and development of protection and control design packages for construction in the transmission, distribution and generation
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.