Renewable Energy Sr. Buyer
660 Plaza Drive , Suite 224 Detroit, MI 48226 US
Provides overall strategic direction, implementation and continuous improvement for Supply Chain’s Total Life Cycle Cost Management initiatives related to engineering, procurement, construction, and operations of wind, solar, and energy storage projects.
These encompass the specification, procurement, delivery, storage and disposition of materials and equipment, as well as services, for operations, maintenance and capital projects needs of the renewable energy Business Unit.
- Leads innovative and creative cross functional teams to develop and drive cost competitive procurement strategies for large capital renewable energy projects.
- Leads procurement processes to ensure quality, cost effectiveness, and delivery from Business Unit’s supplier business partners.
- Ability to use tracking tools for material procurement and delivery and communicate daily on progress
- Cultivates and builds internal and external alliances and partnerships with customers and suppliers to drive cost reduction, process improvement, and best practices.
- Studies market trends, conducts and applies benchmarking/competitive assessments, promotes industry standards, and engages new supplier relationships to support best value for the Business Unit.
- Represents the Business Unit in supplier relationships which include negotiations, commercial terms and conditions, and contract administration.
- Maximizes assets and specific inventory investments to balance Business Unit needs with total cost management.
- Provides mentoring and direction to Buyers and Project Managers to implement buying plans and achieve goals and provides strategic direction to the Business Unit leadership in procurement decisions.
- Supports DTE and SCM goals and measurements; and understands and complies with all corporate policies and procedures.
- Monitors supplier performance as demonstrated in reporting from the Supplier Evaluation System and acts proactively on that data.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 6 years’ progressive experience as a procurement professional in the power generation or renewable energy development industries with demonstrable experience in capital equipment and construction procurement.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as demonstrated by successfully developing and presenting written analyses and presentations to management, educating and clearly communicating with customers and vendors, facilitating diverse groups to consensus, and receiving positive feedback from the customer business units.
- Good computer skills, as demonstrated by independently completing various data analyses, pulling data from various databases, performing requested analyses, effectively using the Internet to conduct market/industry research, as well as identifying sources for products and services, and training and developing other Buyers on the required computer systems.
- Effectively manages workload level, as demonstrated by appropriate requisition age for product mix, consistent positive customer and warehouse feedback, little re-work, meeting deadlines, taking on additional work, working independently on routine tasks, and effectively prioritizing tasks to meet business needs.
- Effective negotiation and contract writing, as demonstrated by successfully and independently handling complex contracts, including proficiency in considering multiple long term and short term variables, building relationships with internal and external customers and vendors, crafting contracts that are uniquely tailored to fit business needs, Business Unit with scope of work, making recommendations for legal review, generating creative and innovative solutions, and reviewing peers contracts for compliance with Company requirements.
- Understands risk management, value analysis and proper decision making, as demonstrated by ensuring terms and conditions are complete and accurate, utilizing appropriate costing models to project risks and reward, appropriately analyzing tradeoffs, consequences and liabilities of actions, knowing when to escalate issues to leadership or experts, and independently making good decisions in unique situations.
- Basic understanding of business needs and the organization as a whole, as demonstrated by participation in business unit meetings, recognized by the business unit as adding value, recognizing impact of market trends, demonstrating expert knowledge in assigned areas of products or services, and identifying points of leverage across the business unit and organization.
- Identifies problems and offers creative solutions, as demonstrated by facilitating groups through root cause analysis processes, using Operating Systems tools, creating and implementing processes to correct problems, sharing lessons learned and integrating and summarizing data from various databases.
- Specific experience leading and supporting teams negotiating engineering, procurement and construction (‘EPC”), generation equipment supply, and long term contractual operational services agreements for power generation and balance of plant equipment.
- Knowledge of managing complex delivery schedules as a supply chain liaison
- Knowledge of state public service commission regulatory processes and prior experience engaging with Business Unit regulatory and governmental affairs liaisons to support project approvals with relevant commission.
- Background of procuring wind, solar, or energy storage assets with a safe harbor/continuous construction Production Tax Credit/Investment Tax Credit component and interface with Business Unit tax and accounting organizations.
- Ability to support levelized cost of energy calculations with the Business Unit for evaluation of project lifecycle costs and incorporation with Business Unit integrated resource planning.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.