Senior Design Engineer
Worthington, OH 43085 US
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to Engineers & technical staff.
- Lead / manage complex engineering tasks and projects.
- Demonstrate mastery of fundamental project management skills and use of PM advanced techniques / practices to increase productivity, efficiency, and accuracy.
- Deliver scope, schedule, budget, quality, and profitability of all projects managed.
- Demonstrate expertise in the development of project schedules and cost budgets; this involves demonstrating an understanding and analysis of relevant financial data.
- Work closely with Project Accounting Staff to monitor / control project cost(s) & billings to meet budgeted profits; this includes analyzing project performance data weekly (and developing recovery plans, as needed).
- Maintain a long-term perspective when reviewing technical work to optimized effectiveness of results.
- Work with Management to develop annual productivity and profitability goals for the Division (including staffing, utilization, project profitability, and overhead budgets).
- Monitor Division performance on a monthly basis (while comparing against forecasted goals as well as prior performance).
- Develop corrective action plans, as needed.
- Actively support corporate mission, goals, strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Promotes effective communication & collaboration internally.
- Participate in creating and administering company policies as well as developing long-range goals (as directed).
- Assist with Business Development by actively pursuing work from clients (new & existing); this involves building / maintaining customer relationships, monitoring future work opportunities, communicating regularly, attending client events, developing proposals, and directly negotiating with clients.
- Additional tasks may be assigned, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering (or a related technical discipline).
- At least 12 years of professional experience working in Civil Engineering (preferably with Transportation Design projects).
- Active P.E. license in OH (we will consider candidates who are able to successfully obtain this credential within 6 months of their start date).
- Management and/or Project Management experience is strongly preferred; a proven track record in effective staff management / leadership is a plus!
- Experience working with a variety of transportation projects: roadway, highway, etc.
- Deep knowledge / expertise with ODOT design criteria.
- Proven ability to contribute to plan preparation on all phases of an engineering design project while utilizing advanced engineering principles.
- Proficiency with engineering tools (e.g.: CADD, etc.); experience with utilizing 3D modeling software, especially Bentley OpenRoads Designer, is a plus!
- Proven ability to work independently to solve engineering design issues as well as providing justification for corresponding work changes.
- Adaptable approach to learn and apply new skills effectively.
- Proactive ability to investigate / seize opportunities to improve work products (especially with a corresponding sense of pride and ownership in your work!).
- Ability to establish credibility in the field via professional organizations and other networking opportunities.
- Proven ability to manage relationships with clients and external partners / contractors.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal & written).
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.