Senior Lead Electrical Engineer
1601 19th Street, Suite 400 Denver, CO 80202 US
Senior Lead Electrical Engineer
Denver Colorado or REMOTE USA
The Sr. Lead Electrical Engineer – Electrical Engineering Team, serves as a team leader to provide high level engineering to develop conceptual and detailed designs of utility scale renewable power plants (wind & solar) and battery storage systems. This role aids in operations support of renewable power generation projects; while supporting development, engineering and construction of projects.
- Serves as lead electrical engineer for teams working on complex renewable energy projects to conceptualize and develop preliminary and final design documents in accordance with technical, commercial, and code compliance requirements to achieve a safe, well-engineered, and cost-effective project.
- Designs and/or reviews the design of utility interconnection substation and renewable power generation facilities including power transformers, medium voltage switchgear, protection and control systems, reactive compensation equipment, grounding and lighting protection, low and medium voltage ac and dc cable systems, and plant auxiliary equipment.
- Provides input to team members working on other areas of the project to include grounding systems, substations, transmission and medium voltage collection system, SCADA, and foundation design.
- Reviews result of design studies of the AC substation and collection systems and performs and reviews Load Flow and Short Circuit analyses, DC and AC loss calculations, cable ampacity studies, and AC/DC cable sizing to establish equipment ratings, optimize designs, and establish operating parameters to achieve a safe, well-engineered, and cost-effective project.
- Develops and reviews construction drawings and documentation to effectively communicate electrical installation details to construction teams.
- Prepares and reviews specifications and construction documents for low, medium, and high voltage electrical power facilities to identify design and performance requirements for procurement of electrical materials and equipment.
- Supports estimating of company developed and 3rd party projects by creating preliminary designs for proposed projects and quantity counts for estimating electrical equipment costs.
- Collaborates with the Director, Engineering – Electrical Engineering to maintain existing and publish new electrical engineering standards, processes, and automation systems to reduce time, effort, and cost during the design process.
- Supports the Director, Engineering – Electrical Engineering in preparing weekly project updates for electrical engineering design progress and labor utilization for engineering project delivery team and senior management.
- Prepares and analyzes weekly project updates for electrical engineering design progress for project management.
- Performs assignment and progress tracking of tasks for team members and subconsultants.
- Attends work regularly and punctually, as scheduled or expected.
- Complies with Employee Handbook, Code of Conduct and Company Policies & Procedures.
- Presents, supports, and leads-by-example with a safety and quality-oriented attitude.
- Provides support to construction during the construction and commissioning phases.
- Performs factory visits to assess quality and materials for adherence to specifications.
- Visits sites as needed during pre-construction and construction to support project needs.
- Reviews work instructions periodically to ensure compliance with industry and client standards.
- Develops new methods and standards for Group design activities.
- Fosters and promotes a diverse and inclusive workplace which promotes innovation, opportunity, excellence serving others, building trust, and exceeding expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or 10 years equivalent experience, required
- Professional Engineer (PE or P.Eng) certification, required
- 10 or more years’ power generation industry with EPC experience, required
- 2 or more years’ experience in grid-scale renewable energy generation and/or energy storage, preferred
- Ability to travel domestically 5 to 15%
- Advanced level of knowledge in:
- Power Systems Analysis, load flow and short circuit modeling
- Reactive compensation evaluation
- DC and AC Electrical Design
- Design for Constructability
- US and Canadian Industry Standards
- Preparation of Equipment Specifications
- Medium to High Voltage Substation Design
- Overhead and Underground MV and HV Design Concepts
- Grounding System Design Concepts
- Project Scheduling Concepts
- Detailed Design Software:
- Fundamental understanding of CAD concepts
- Fundamental knowledge of power system software such as CYMCAP, DIgSILENT, SKM, and ETAP
- Basic knowledge of grounding software like WinIGS or CDEGS
- Knowledge of Dynamic Modeling Software such as PSS/E
- MS Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.)
- Oral and written skills to include:
- Clear and concise technical writing
- Ability to communicate issues internally with Electrical, Solar, Civil/Structural and Mechanical Engineers, CAD Designers, Project Managers, and Contract and Estimating Teams and Externally with Client and suppliers
- Strong interpersonal skills, including listening and summarizing skills
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Functional competencies include attention to detail, excellence, prioritization, teamwork and continuous improvement.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.