Senior Power Systems Engineer
85 Collamer Crossings Pkwy East Syracuse, NY 13057 US
Regardless of whether you are building a surface movement radar, marketing a fighter jet or engineering cyber security solutions, everyone at here makes a positive contribution. In a complex, unpredictable world, we all work to keep people and society safe.
We serve the U.S. government, industry, and commercial customers with world-leading products, services and solutions including defense and civil security.
As as a Senior Staff Level Power (Electrical) Engineer you will make an immediate impact by delivering the following:
- The application of engineering principles and techniques to develop the architecture and detailed design of complex power systems/subsystems for ground, shipboard and airborne radars.
- Selecting and proposing methods and techniques for the development of power generation, conversion, conditioning, monitoring and distribution for complex radar systems.
- Developing system requirements, architecture and interfaces for complex radar systems.
- Performing detailed design functions including component selection, load calculations, power budgets, subcontract product specifications and design layout for electrical systems.
- Coordinating with and managing electrical system suppliers in the development, integration, and testing of power system components.
- Leading small technical teams to achieve program objectives.
- Providing effective communication between functional management, functional teams, customers, contractors and suppliers.
- Assisting in the planning of tasks and collection/reporting of execution metrics.
- Applying work experience to identify and contribute to process improvements.
Skills and Experience:
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Electrical Engineering or other related degree program.
- Experience developing power system/subsystem requirements, architecture and design.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in all areas of power system design and development including but not limited to: ac/dc & dc/dc power converter design, system power distribution design (including 3-phase and grounding), developing and maintaining power budgets, power conditioning, system monitoring modeling, implementation, testing and debugging.
- Experience with power system design for high power (10kW or more), pulsed radar systems.
- Experience with developing subcontract specifications for power system components such as high power converters, conditioning units, filters etc.
- Demonstrated ability to act independently.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills are a must.
- Ability to effectively interface with functional teams, customers, contractors and suppliers.
- Ability to evaluate vendor capabilities to provide required products or services.
- Experience estimating size, cost and schedule of a hardware development effort.
- Must hold or be able to obtain U.S. DoD SECRET security clearance.
- Master’ s Degree in Electrical Engineering or other related degree program.
- Experience with military standards: MIL-STD-704, MIL-STD-1399-300, MIL-STD-461
- Knowledge of analog circuits, design and analysis.
- Experience with lab equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, power quality meters, etc.
- Knowledge of PCB design.
- PSPICE and/or LTSPICE tool Experience.
- Ability to design for test, manufacturing and reliability.
- Experience mentoring and developing junior engineers.
Must be a U.S. citizen. Applicants selected may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Pre-employment Screening Requirements:
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to meet the following criteria: (i) pass a drug screen, (ii) complete a background check that will include, at a minimum, a criminal record check, and education and employment verification, and (iii) be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus (unless granted an accommodation permitted by law and then in compliance with Saab’ s requirements related to the accommodation, if any).
We provide an excellent working environment offering professional growth opportunities, competitive wages, work-life balance, business-casual atmosphere and comprehensive benefits:
- Medical, vision and dental insurance for employees and dependents
- Paid time off including: minimum of 3 weeks vacation, 5 floating holidays, 8 designated holidays, 3 weeks personal illness, bereavement, jury duty and disability
- 401(k) with immediate vesting on employer match
- Tuition assistance
- Employee assistance programs
- Employee stock purchase program with employer match
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.