Senior Safety Engineer
85 Collamer Crossings Pkwy East Syracuse, NY 13057 US
Saab, Inc. is seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Staff Safety Engineer.
Make an immediate impact by collaborating with Systems Engineering and Integration & Test to support development of complex electronic surveillance systems for commercial and government customers. This role is critical to successfully developing products and executing projects to achieve Saab’ s vision – It’ s a human right to feel safe. The location of this position is flexible; the successful candidate will have the ability to either work remotely (within the Northeast region) or onsite in our East Syracuse, NY, office.
- Participating in architectural trade studies, system modeling and budgeting, and design and requirements capture to improve system safety
- Leading, performing, and maintaining system safety analyses throughout the product lifecycle.
- Creating and maintaining safety-related product documentation baselines for each project, product, and system variant.
- Identifying applicable codes & standards to ensure safety, and recommend design features and/or test methods to assure compliance.
- Participating in issue reporting and configuration change processes to investigate system anomalies, recommend actions, and assess changes.
- Communicating findings to internal and external customers through reports and presentations.
- Coordinating with technical leads to ensure technical, cost, and schedule performance is achieved while maintain acceptable levels of risk.
- Developing and making continuous improvement to Saab, Inc.’ s safety design processes.
- Mentoring and leading junior engineers throughout the organization.
- Supporting technical and cost proposal preparation for future programs.
- Collaborating across functional and business organizations within Saab, Inc., in the U.S. and throughout the global corporation.
- Bachelor’ s degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related discipline
- 10+ years of relevant experience in safety critical or mission critical industries (e.g., aerospace, defense/military, medical, transportation, nuclear, etc.)
- Demonstrated proficiency with safety analysis methods such as functional hazard analysis, failure modes and effects analysis, and fault tree analysis
- Proven experience applying safety principles to radar, surveillance systems, or other software-intensive electro-mechanical systems
- Practiced in MIL-STD-882 system safety practices
- Familiar with MIL-STD-1472 human engineering standards
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to form productive relationships in a team environment
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead junior safety engineers
- Strong self-motivated work ethic with superior time management for supporting multiple simultaneous projects
- Must hold or be able to obtain U.S. DoD SECRET security clearance
- Advanced degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related discipline
- Experience with Eurocontrol, FAA, or other air traffic management safety methodologies, procedures, operations, and systems
- Experience with IEEE 1633, DO-278A/ED-109A, or other software safety standards
- Experience with Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) and related tools
- Experience working with government customers and particularly the U.S. DoD procurement and acquisition environment
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.