Sr Geotechnical Engineer - Technical Lead
Denver, CO 80013 US
Join a team that has been partnering with clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. When it comes to hydropower, dams, locks and navigation projects, they design with the next generation in mind. They operate with the strength of a $3B company paired with the agility of a specialized power and dams group, to deliver iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world’s most impactful dam and water infrastructure projects—projects vital to both local and global communities.
Our client is looking to add a full-time geotechnical engineer to the Energy & Resources group. You will be working on the most challenging water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world’s top talent.
The successful candidate will work on challenging and diverse tasks for dams and hydroelectric projects, conveyance tunnels, and water resource projects for a variety of domestic and international clients. The successful candidate will be working in conjunction with other engineers on multi-discipline teams to support project activities through the application of engineering principles and techniques. The successful candidate should be able to work independently and with small and large teams to apply critical thinking skills to solve technical issues and develop project-specific solutions. The position will require travel to project sites and will provide stimulating career growth opportunities.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Follow safe work practices and adhere to company guidelines for planning and executing work in a safe manner.
- Work in conjunction with engineers, geologists, and scientists to solve project challenges, leading design tasks and overseeing design calculations as required.
- Lead technical teams, perform technical work, make technical presentations, plan technical portions of projects, develop technical portions of proposals, and provide technical review of work products.
- Lead and mentor less experienced staff.
- Manage projects and tasks with the assistance of 1 to 10 engineers.
- Select criteria for planning, design, and construction of dams, foundations, slopes, and earth-retaining structures.
- Assist with feasibility studies by conducting research to assess challenges and develop solutions.
- Conduct and supervise staff performing numerical analysis using programs such as FLAC, Plaxis, Phase2, SEEP/W and SLOPE/W.
- Develop familiarity with regulatory agency requirements, technical design standards, and industry standards and guidelines.
- Lead the preparation of and take responsibility for technical reports including geotechnical data reports, geotechnical baseline reports, field reports, technical memoranda, computation packages, feasibility reports, and design and evaluation reports.
- Develop design drawings and specifications for various levels of design (e.g. 30%, 60%, 90%, 100% design).
- Participate in professional development and training activities.
- Lead by example with active support of internal policies and practices, including health & safety, risk management, project management, and quality management.
- Grow internal and external networks to further enhance reputation and identify additional talent to join our team.
- Mentor and train future leaders, including development of succession plans for key positions.
- Promote collaboration and teamwork across business lines and geographies.
- Working knowledge of the principles of civil/geotechnical engineering.
- Willing and able to travel to project sites, both nationally and internationally.
- Some exposure to or knowledge of numerical modeling and finite element analysis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Sound organizational, technical, written, and oral communication skills with attention to detail.
- 10 to 15 years work experience in geotechnical engineering. Dams or water infrastructure experience required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering from an accredited university Master’s preferred.
- Professional engineer license preferred, or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.