Staff Civil Designer
Kansas City, MO 64114 US
- A Staff Civil Designer will perform various phases of planning, proposal preparation, site evaluations, analytical designs, report preparation, specifications, and preparation of construction documentation and environmental plans as part of a project team. This position will work on various projects with a diverse portfolio of project types and clients. Design civil engineering projects including site design, land development, roads, storm drainage systems, storm water management facilities, water and sanitary sewer utility design, sediment and erosion control, and traffic control, airports, and facility design.
- Develop drawings for production work including problem analysis, design layout and calculations on non-routine assignments of substantial variety and complexity.
- Execute variety of civil design assignments using prescribed methods and standard techniques including drawing sequence and presentation, sizing various system components and refining rough sketches.
- Execute changes to designs or sketches and mark-ups on ongoing projects.
- Analyze reports, maps, drawings, tests, and other topographical and geologic data to plan and design projects.
- Responsible for incorporating design codes and specifications related to design requirements.
- Review design drawings for quality assurance within scope, budget and schedule.
- Report volume calculations for excavation, dredging, and upland site grading.
- Review schedules, budgets and project criteria into civil design and layouts.
- Responsible for revisions of project drawings, plot files and project-related information storage in a logical and well-structured manner.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in drafting technology or related field and eight years related experience or associate's degree and nine years related experience or ten years progressive detailing and design experience.
- Expert understanding of design software such as: AutoCAD, Civil 3D (Must Have), MicroStation, InRoads/OpenRoads and Excel to develop the design deliverables.
- Expert knowledge in design, calculations and design systems.
- Expert knowledge in the theory and practices of civil discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others (Project Managers, Engineers and Designers) in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, and attention to detail.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.