Staff Civil/Structural Engineer
13737 Noel Rd., Suite 700 Dallas, TX 75240 US
The Staff Civil/Structural Engineer will work within a multi-discipline team to develop world class designs for new projects, alterations, and redevelopments on a variety of Substation and Transmission projects. The Staff Civil/Structural Engineer will work with the project team throughout the design and construction process, adapting civil structural plans according to budget constraints, design factors or client needs.
Project work includes civil structural design of utility infrastructure including electrical substations and overhead transmission lines, and renewable facilities. The market is continuing to evolve due to technology advancements and policy changes. Projects partner with utilities to design, plan, and improve the modern electric grid. Civil/Structural tasks within the group include:
- Perform civil design of projects from the conceptual phase through design completion.
- Design of both shallow and deep foundations including slab foundations, mat foundations, spread footings, strip footings, drilled piers, and steel piles.
- Design and analyze structures for utility infrastructure including electrical substations and transmission structures.
- Analyze rigid bus systems to assess the structural capacity of insulators and stress and deflection in the aluminum bus.
- Design of oil containment systems for electrical equipment.
- Modify and review production drawings for a variety of projects.
- Research and compile project related data as required. Assist in preparing studies and design reports.
- Site planning including drainage and storm runoff calculations, retention pond sizing and design, erosion, and sedimentation control plan, and developing stormwater prevention pollution plan (SWPPP).
- Assist in the construction execution including development of construction specifications & cost estimate preparation.
- Communicate with design team for specific project requirements.
- Perform field inspections, measurements, or calculations.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Civil or Structural Engineering or related degree from an ABET accredited program.
- Or Bachelor of Science in Civil or Structural or related Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited program and successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- 3 years of civil engineering experience, consulting preferred.
- Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) or Engineer-in-Training (EIT) strongly preferred.
- Strong knowledge in standard structural engineering techniques, principles and procedures.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work methodically and analytically in a quantitative problem-solving environment and demonstrated critical thinking skills.
- Strong computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite).
- Strong computer skills in structural analysis programs (e.g., RISA, STAAD), AutoCAD and BIM (e.g., Revit).
- Strong attention to detail, facilitation, team building, collaboration, organization and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.