Staff Electrical Engineer
9400 Ward Parkway Kansas City, MO 64114 US
- Designs include the electrical interconnect to the bulk power grid and all associated power generating facility auxiliary power equipment.
- Equipment includes rotating machines, such as generators and motors, large power transformers, generator circuit breakers, isolated phase bus duct, non-segregated phase bus duct, switchgear, motor control centers, small power transformers, and variable frequency drives.
- Engineer will execute complex assignments requiring the application of advanced techniques, resulting in the development of new or improved processes, equipment and/or technological methods.
- Some specific duties & responsibilities include:
- Coordinating project design assignments and design teams
- Electrical system modeling including grounding, load flow, short-circuit, and arc-flash analysis;
- Protective relay setting development, calculation, and coordination studies;
- Developing scope of work, conceptual design, and execution plans;
- Developing equipment specifications, procuring, and factory acceptance testing electrical equipment;
- Preparing engineering cost and man-hour estimates and schedules;
- Preparing/creating construction documents for the installation of new or modifications of existing power generating facility electrical systems;
- Performing Project Management duties on electrical discipline projects;
- Provide leadership, guidance, instruction, and mentorship to less experienced staff members; Regularly meeting and corresponding with clients or outside personnel
- May coordinate departmental and divisional project studies and reports
- Some marketing responsibilities
- Other duties will be assigned as required
- Electrical Engineers are encouraged and empowered to take on advanced opportunities which may include positions as Lead Engineers, Engineering Managers, Project Managers, and Business Development Managers.
- Work experience which demonstrates progressive design and project management responsibilities.
- Has experience with design scope development, budget preparation and project execution meeting schedule requirements and maintaining established budgets.
- This position requires an individual capable of applying intensive and diversified knowledge of principles and practices to broad areas of assignments.
- Must be capable of interpreting and developing solutions to complex problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from accredited program.
- Minimum 3 years of related experience.
- Experience in electrical power, medium voltage, low voltage, lighting, grounding, electrical equipment control, protective relaying and associated systems design and construction administration strongly preferred.
- Facility type designs may include power generating facilities, process facilities, and large industrial facilities.
- System modeling using SKM Power Tools, ETAP, or similar modeling software is preferred.
- SmartPlant / SmartPlant Electrical experienced preferred.
- Excellent written & verbal communications as well as strong analytical & problem solving skills are required.
- Previous consulting engineering experience preferred.
- Completion of FE exam strongly preferred.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.