Telecom Technician I
1755 Mechanicsville Road Florence, SC 29501 US
The Telecom Technician is responsible for the installation, programming, testing, and maintenance of various types of Telecommunications equipment and systems for Duke Energy Corporation and its Subsidiaries. Equipment/Systems include Fiber Optics, Microwave (SONET, DWDM, DS0 up to OC-192), Telephone Systems & Associated Physical Infrastructure (PBXs, subscriber sets, wiring, Network Interfaces), Wireless Systems (Two-way radio, paging, SCADA, siren control systems), Data Network, and common equipment including Antenna Networks (Towers, feedlines, combiners, duplexers), Power Equipment (emergency generators, batteries, inverters, UPS, transfer panels) and Grounding systems.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs, climb ladders and steps in all types of Duke facilities including Power plants, office buildings, and remote sites.
- Outside work required in all types of weather.
- Regular overtime and weekend work, with extensive travel, mainly in an assigned Duke Vehicle, with occasional flights on commercial airline.
- Able to obtain DOT drivers health card
- Regular second shift and call-out duties
- Two or more years experience in the installation/maintenance of electronic systems.
- Proven trouble-shooting skills.
- Basic understanding of Data, Fiber Optics, Microwave, Wireless, and Voice Networks.
- Two-year degree in electronics or equivalent work experience.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Five or more years experience in the installation/maintenance of telecommunication networks and equipment.
- Proven trouble-shooting skills.
- Understanding of Data, Fiber Optics, Microwave, Wireless, and Voice Networks and proven ability to maintain and install these systems and associated equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to use specialized test equipment (OTDR, Spectrum Analyzer, RF Service Monitor, Optical Power and Source Meters, Battery Load Bank, Battery Measurement, DS1/DS3 Test Sets)
- Two-three years prior experience splicing fiber with 100+ hours of either mechanical or fusion splicing equipment.
- Field Technician that works in the field doing maintenance, construction and support for all Telecom infrastructure.
- Work with the project manager, architects, and other team members to define metrics and performance goals for the network solution.
- Assist in translating requirements into expected results. Work with the architect and other planners to assess current capabilities and identify high-level customer requirements. Identify and define detailed product requirements and use cases. Participate in transitioning the requirements and ensuring there is a clear and complete understanding of the requirements. Work with other deployment specialists to ensure that the components interact to meet performance goals. Execute testing in order to confirm that solutions are operating as designed. Report problems and issues, as warranted. Partner with necessary resources to resolve any issues that are discovered as a result of testing solutions.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.