1500 Technology Dr. Jackson, MI 49202 US
A progressive use of CAD equipment and FEA software to design tooling and equipment necessary to manufacture components. Ability to create and maintain top-down assemblies and complex surface models. Has a solid understanding of design techniques and familiarity with engineering terminology. Possesses mechanical aptitude with ability to complete basic mathematical calculations. Has familiarity with CAD/CAM equipment and relationship of CAD to CAM.
Tool Designer Level 1
- Read blueprints effectively.
- Navigate SolidWorks.
- Design tooling based on customer CAD.
- Ability to import and repair customer CAD.
- Understand tooling guidelines and conform to design standards.
- Understanding of tool anatomy.
- Determine material sizes base on machining methods. Tool Designer Level 2 (competency in Level 1 functions)
- Competent in SolidWorks.
- Understand GD&T and apply it to tool design.
- Create 3D trim models.
- Manipulate customer CAD and create die runoff.
- Understand different forming operations and capabilities.
- Design tooling based on manufacturing method.
- Modify tooling based on technician feedback.
- Determine tooling material based on part geometry.
Tool Designer Level 3 (competency in Level 2 functions)
- Competent in PAM stamp.
- Simulate draw-forming operations.
- Understanding of metal formability.
- Advanced SolidWorks Modeling and Surfacing.
- Utilize best materials for process and cost limits.
- Understand part spring back and design tooling accordingly.
- Troubleshoot tooling designs and make changes based on results.
- Communicate with technicians to solve problems.
- Competent in GD&T and application of tool design.
- Mastery in tooling material sizes and applications. Tool Designer Level 4 (competency in Level 3 functions)
- Proficient in PAM stamp.
- Interpret FEA and make tool design changes.
- Simulate various types of forming operations.
- Account for forming deficiencies during tool design.
- Competent in metallurgical formability.
- Proficient in SolidWorks.
- Utilize 3D scan data to make tooling adjustments.
- Mastery in GD&T and application of tool design.
- Competent in SpaceClaim.
Tool Designer Level 5 (Technical Leader) (competency in Level 4 functions)
- Mastery in PAM stamp.
- Troubleshoot tool design and give technicians direction.
- Simulate all forming operations and determine tool design.
- Apply FEA, experience, customer feedback to tool designs.
- Mastery in SolidWorks.
- Mastery in metallurgical formability.
- Plan work schedule based on customer needs (company). SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or GED.
- Vocational Training (STEM Program, Career Center, or Technical Trades Training).
- 1-2 years of solid modeling in SolidWorks
- At least 1 year experience reading blueprints
- Associate degree or equivalent in design engineering.
- Minimum 1 year of related machine operating experience. Proficient at reading and interpreting blueprints.
- Prior experience using SolidWorks
- Proven manufacturing experience in metal forming.
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.