Underground Electrical CAD Technician
200 W. Adams St, Suite 2700 Chicago, IL 60606 US
- The Electrical CAD Technician will work within our Transmission and Distribution (T&D) Global Practice to perform the following duties:
- Design of low to medium voltage (2.4-120kV) underground distribution and sub transmission lines using CADD programs
- Perform drafting on new and existing drawings
- Conform drawings to client drafting standards
- Develop knowledge of company and client standards
- Gain mastery of CADD systems including AutoCAD, AutoCAD Civil 3D and Bentley Microstation
- Perform design and drafting services following the Burns & McDonnell proven quality process
- Develop an understanding of basic T&D design terminology
- Become proficient in multiple disciplines of drafting
- Prepare construction documents including plan and profile drawings for underground electric distribution, fiber optic and telecommunications facilities
- Coordinate work tasks with engineering disciplines and collaborate with others in the creation of engineering and construction deliverables
- Communicate and coordinate project activities with project lead, and others as needed
- Other duties will be assigned as required
- High school diploma and course work in drafting technology or specialized CAD certification.
- Associate's degree in computer aided drafting and design desirable. Bachelor's degree in ANY Engineering field is NOT allowed for this position EXCEPT for Engineering Technology.
- Entry-level position (zero to two years of professional drafting experience).
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills. Previous internship and/or related consulting experience preferred.
- Mastered basic commands of at least one type of CAD system (ability to occasionally use higher-level commands, timesaving programs and routines).
- Excellent understanding of design software such as: AutoCAD, Civil 3D, MicroStation, GIS and Excel to develop the design deliverables is strongly preferred
- General knowledge of and familiarity with basic principles and engineering design practices
- Capable of successfully solving problems that require adaptation and modification of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Capable of devising new approaches to problems encountered
- Basic knowledge of design, calculations, and design systems
- Basic knowledge in the theory and practices of civil discipline; competent in the fundamental concepts of other disciplines as they relate to the assigned discipline; and capable of operating related discipline design software necessary to execute production tasks
- Ability to work collaboratively with others (Project Managers, Engineers and Designers) in a multi-discipline project team environment to resolve design or drawing issues as appropriate and to accomplish objectives
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail
Although this hasn't been an issue at The Planet Group, the staffing industry has seen an increase in people falsely representing themselves as recruiters to gather personal information from job seekers. For your safety, do not provide sensitive data to anyone you have not spoken with thoroughly and never provide banking information during the application process. Candidate safety is a top priority at The Planet Group.